Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Back in the Saddle

Sorry I've been away for awhile. It's tough to be snarky when so many people I know are having tough problems to overcome. That said I think I'd better start cheering some people the heck up before all the s**t hitting the fan comes back at them and they forget about the importance of ducking(as opposed to the importance of ducklings,ooh so cute!).

A friend of mine was worried about the selfish reaction that her 13yr old son had to his birthday presents. In a moment of clarity I espoused this little nugget of wisdom which I thought you might all like to hear. Unfortunately I could not come up with way to word this intro without sounding full of myself-I'm really not you know. It's not like I'm Mrs Dr Spock or someone and if you think it's crap ok-I can live with that(I'll just make a voodoo doll of you and poke it full of pins)but here is :

As parents we spend our lives making sure that we teach our children manners,values and caring ,but very minute will not be filled with their doing the right thing or showing the right level of value or appreciation,but when the time comes for them to be tested and you are not around they will rise to the occasion because YOU taught them how.

Of course results may vary and all children may not respond in the same manner. This statement has not been evaluated by the American Association of Pediatric

Psychologists.Any unauthorized twisting this information for private use must be approved by the author(I say go for it).The author of this statement accepts no responsibility for negative outcomes(read-your problem!).

Ponder this piece of sage advice and the attached disclaimer the next time your kid takes an airsoft gun(loaded) and pelts the annoying kid whining about his video game score in your family room (in front of your big screen TV) . Try to remember this act does not mean they are going to grow up and go postal. It means they gave no thought to the act -if they had they'd have put on goggles and moved away from the TV. Yes, this happened at my house and yes, I was home and no, I wasn't on a different floor-I was in the laundryroom and no,nobody was hurt. Possibly the child deserved it but they should've known better- honestly they could've put out an eye or busted the TV! After I explained these possible outcomes they understood and learned(ok they laughed and I took away the airsoft guns) and nothing like that has ever happened again-and no one's gone postal yet.

No comments: